Thursday 13 November 2008

....the galilee....

Just got back from an eight day trip in the Galilee and leave tomorrow for an eight-day trip for Egypt. So assuming that I’ll have many tales to tell of my upcoming adventures in the land of camels, mummies, and pyramids, I thought I should first cover Galilee.

You would assume that I would be a professional by now, having a few of these blogs already under my belt. However I find myself in the same predicament as all the ones previous. Where to start? Perhaps, this is the most difficult one yet, considering that this ‘field-trip’ to the Galilee was in fact multiple field-trips, as we toured all around Galilee.

For sake of time and space I will spare you the novel, I could very well write about the sum of sights I saw and loads of lessons I learned while in Galilee. Rather I will stick to just the highlights.

Let’s just say we covered a lot of ground (as well as a ton of information) and by a lot, I mean a lot. We went to: Aphek/Antipatris, Caesarea (Maritime and Philippi both), Mount Carmel, Dor, Megiddo, Harod Spring, Nazareth, Sephoris, Cana, Arbel Cliff, En Gev, Bethsaida, Corazim, Caperneum, Tiberias, Mount of Beatitudes, Tabgha, Dan, Jordan River, Bet-She’an, and Wadi Fara. Not to mention we saw Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon from a distance. Moreover, we visited ancient ruins galore, a rolling stone tomb, museums, an old Crusader fortress, as well as churches right left and center!!

We climbed mountains, hiked hills, and swam in the Sea of Galilee. (The only thing I feel like we didn’t do was fly. Maybe next time!!) We walked city streets and ate shawarma in random little family owned restaurants, if you could even call them that. We enjoyed a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee, followed by a fresh fish dinner. We were up early and to bed late.

I’m growing, learning, laughing, studying, stretching, and thanking God for teaching, showing, and reminding me of many many things.

Of course the main attraction of the entire trip was the Sea of Galilee. We stayed five nights by the sea, during which we enjoyed some tremendous sunsets, which were some of my most memorable moments. God painted quite the picture as all hues of gold were smeared across the sky, reflecting ever so beautifully on the glassy sea. I felt as though I was standing in a picture frame. It was so peaceful. The water was still, completely still, just as it would have been when He calmed the raging sea in a mighty display of power. Everything was quiet, not a sound to be heard but the gentle breeze And the thought of God, so magnificent and glorious, quieted all other thoughts.

However, amidst all the fun and facts, and among all the locations and lectures, the thing that I was most challenged by was a question posed (by our amazing professor, Abner Chou). He asked us do we really value Jesus? Do we treasure Him? Do we really love Him, in all His loveliness and worthiness? Do I prize Him above all else? Is His kingdom my primary concern? Or am I wrapped up in mine?

He is far too glorious to be taken for-granted.

And as a side note, let me just say that God has used this same professor to challenge me on a host of things. Old Sunday school lessons have become life-transforming truths for me here. I never really understood how miraculous the miracles were and how they all point to Jesus as God, in all sorts of ways. The Bible is exciting, believe it or not!! And it always has been. And I knew that but didn’t fully understand it or see how all the time. I suppose I was just too lazy to see all the wondrous wonders of it. But now, o now, I am reading it in amplified, living colour.

So, I encourage you all to know the God of the Bible. Study Him. Enjoy Him. For knowing Him is the richest joy and deepest peace.

Well, I best be going. I have my first exam tomorrow and need to start studying. Oh yea, and I better pack for Egypt as well seeing that we leave in the morning.

Till next time. Shalom.

1 comment:

Witness My Fitness said...

Amen! Amen! Amen! It is encouraging to see you write that about God's Word! I didn't even know you were on this big adventure! You write so well...I enjoy reading your blog (that is more than I can say for a lot of people!). So, I will check in for more updates on your trip!
~Melissa L.